30 crepes stacked and held together with chocolate cream and ganache. A delicious dessert for crepes and cake lovers.
For the Crepe Base:
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2) stick unsalted butter, melted Chocolate-Hazelnut Cream Filling:
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico hazelnut liqueur Chocolate-Hazelnut Ganache:
- 3.5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico hazelnut liqueur
- Preheat a 9 inch skillet pan ( on medium) Crepes:
- Combine four eggs and 1/4 teaspoon of salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk eggs and salt together until the mixture looks uniformly yellow.
- Add approximately 1/4 cup of flour to whisk into the egg mixture. Once the flour has been incorporated into the egg mixture, whisk approximately 1/4 cup of milk to thin the batter.
- Keep adding equal amounts of milk and flour alternately until 2 1/4 cups of milk and 2 cups of flour have been added.
- Whisk the batter until it is smooth
- Add the melted butter to the batter and whisk
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pre-heated pan. Swirl the batter with the pan lifted over the stove eye until the bottom is coated with a thin layer of batter.
- When the top has set, flip the crepe to cook the other side of the pancake. This should not take more than 30 seconds.
- When the crepe is ready, slide the pancake out of the skillet and onto a plate to set aside. Repeat process until all crepe batter is used. Allow the crepes to cool completely. Filling:
- Whip heavy cream in a large bowl on medium-speed with a hand mixer or using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Gradually add the vanilla sugar to thicken the mixture.
- Add 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Add the Frangelico one tablespoon at a time, and then add the vanilla extract. Whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Ganache:
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place it in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream over medium-high heat until just boiling
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Mix in the Frangelico and whisk again until smooth. Allow to cool slightly before using. Cake Assembly:
- Center a crepe on a cooling rack. Place 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut cream in the center of the crepe. Use a knife to spread this cream thinly and consistently across the crepe. Top with another crepe. Continue brushing, spreading, and stacking, ending with a crepe on top.
- Pour the chocolate-hazelnut ganache over the crepes, starting in the center of the crepe cake stack. Move the cup in an ever widening circle above the cake, until the top is completely covered. Keep pouring once you get towards the edges to ensure that the sides of the cake are completely covered with ganache. Enjoy!