These Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins do not just look delicious and tempting but they are super healthy. You can omit the chocolate chips if you want or replace them with a cup of nuts.
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp oats (for muffin tops)
- 2–3 large bananas, very ripe
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips (divided into ½ cup portions)
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Place oats on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, stirring once ( about 5 mins). Let cool to room temperature.
- Place 1.5 cups of oats in a food processor and blend/pulse until they reach a rough, flour like consistency.
- Mash bananas well, they should have no lumps.
- Add eggs, honey, milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients (including both ground and whole oats) to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Allow these to sit for 10 minutes to soak the oats.
- Fold in approximately 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin tin, lined with muffin wrappers (makes 14 muffins). You can spray the bottom of the liners lightly with spray oil to make the muffins easier to remove from the wrappers.
- Sprinkle muffin tops with reserved oats and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, press down lightly.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 -23 minutes, a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean.