A sandwich made in heaven. A pair of chewy cookies with cream filling. The perfect combination of flavor and texture in one cookie sandwich.
For the Cookies:
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 stick, plus 5 tablespoons, unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract For the Filling:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(180C) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder until incorporated.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg white to the bowl and mix until smooth, then add the vanilla and continue mixing. Add the flour mixture and mix until a dough holds together.
- Transfer to a clean work surface and knead until smooth. Divide the dough in half and form each portion into a disk.
- Working with 1 disk at a time, roll each one between 2 sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of ⅛ inch.
- Transfer both to the freezer and freeze for 1 hour.
- Working with 1 sheet at a time, peel back the parchment and using a 2-inch round or fluted cutter, cut out 24 cookies from each sheet and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies, rotating the trays top to bottom and front to back, until firm to the touch. Let cool completely. Filling:
- In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat all of the filling ingredients together until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Sandwich:
- Spread ½ tablespoon of the filling on 1 cookie and sandwich with another. Repeat.
- Chill the cookies for 1 hour until the filling is firm, 30 minutes, then serve.