Enjoy this delicious double chocolate ice cream plain, or stir in ingredients such as pitted chopped fresh cherries, chocolate chips, or marshmallows.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Combine sugar and cocoa in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in 1/2 cup milk and egg yolks. Stir in remaining 2 cups milk. Cook 12 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place half-and-half in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at high 1 1/2 minutes or until half-and-half boils. Add chocolate to half-and-half; stir until smooth. Add half-and-half mixture to pan; stir until smooth. Place pan in an ice-filled bowl. Cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.