Making pie dough from scratch shouldn’t be scary. Follow this easy recipe and say goodbye to premade dough.
- 2 1/2 cups (12.5 ounces; 350 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) salt
- 2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces; 280 grams) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces; 85 milliliters) cold water
- Combine two thirds of flour with sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to incorporate.
- Spread butter chunks evenly over surface. Pulse until no dry flour remains and dough just begins to collect in clumps, about 25 short pulses.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the dough evenly around the bowl of the food processor.
- Sprinkle with remaining flour and pulse until dough is just barely broken up, about 5 short pulses. Transfer dough to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with water then using a rubber spatula, fold and press dough until it comes together into a ball. Divide ball in half. Form each half into a 4-inch disk.
- Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before rolling and baking.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes (375F/190C ), until golden brown and dry.