German Chocolate Cookie Bars have a chewy chocolate cookie layer topped with gooey homemade german chocolate frosting.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box devil’s good cake mix ( not the pudding one)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg Filling:
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (180C)
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan or spray with cooking spray. Crust:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter and egg, and press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crust will continue to bake in the next step. Filling:
- mix together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, egg, pecans and coconut. Pour evenly over the warm crust and sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 24-30 minutes, until the top is a light golden brown. Don't overbake! Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.