Homemade Chocolate Caramel Apples are great for holiday gifts or for any festive occasion. Kids would love this healthy sweet snack!
- 5 ripe apples, washed and dried
- wooden skewers, lollipop/sucker or popsicle sticks
- 11 ounces caramels
- 12 ounces good chocolate for melting (dark or milk)
- optional: toppings for sprinkling, dipping or drizzling (chopped nuts, candy sprinkles, melted chocolate for drizzling)
- Prepare apples for dipping. If using sticks, insert into apples at stem stopping before puncturing through bottom of apple.
- Line baking sheet with wax paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Melt caramels according to package instructions. One at a time dip apples, letting extra caramel drip off. Place on wax paper to cool.
- . Once all have been dipped, place in refrigerator for at least an hour to let caramel set up.
- Melt chocolate according to package instructions. Dip caramel covered apples in chocolate until evenly covered. Let extra chocolate drip off. If adding toppings, sprinkle, dip or drizzle now. Place finished apple on wax paper until set.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until needed. Depending on the apple, these should keep 3-5 days refrigerated.