The Chocolate Toto Cookies are Christmas tradition in Italy. These cookies are not too sweet yet very delicious. This recipe would be enough to make around 80 cookies which is perfect for different occasions like parties and weddings.
FOR THE COOKIES
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp clove
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins FOR FROSTING
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp oil or extract of orange (optional)
- 3 tbsp milk or black coffee TOPPING ( optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. COOKIES
- Using an electric mixer, cream shortening with sugar. Beat in eggs, then milk & vanilla until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift all dry ingredients together, add to wet mixture, blend until just incorporated, then add raisins & walnuts and mix on low until well incorporated.
- Use your hands to knead nuts & raisins in, but don’t over knead it or the cookies will be tough.
- Shape dough into balls the size of walnuts and leaving room for expansion, place on cookie sheet covered in parchment.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until they spring back when touched.
- Allow to cool completely, then frost. FROSTING
- Melt butter. Add all ingredients and mix until smooth enough to spread.
- Add more milk or coffee if too stiff. (You may need to add more as you go and it stiffens) .
- Dip cookie tops and use spatula to spread if necessary.
- Top with Sprinkles ( Optional)
- Place on waxed paper until dry.