The crunch of the M&M’s inside the decadent cookie dough is quirky and delicious and the deep chocolate chewiness of the cookies.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semisweet or milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into eight pieces
- 3/4 cup M&M’s
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, place the chopped chocolate and the butter. Microwave for one minute at 50% power. Stir. Microwave again for one minute at 50% power and stir well.
- Let the mixture cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes until it is at room temperature or just slightly warm.
- In a large bowl,combine the chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. Gradually mix in flour mixture on low speed. Fold in M&M’s with a wooden spoon.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper, silpat liners or lightly grease them with cooking spray. Drop dough onto baking sheets by tablespoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. If desired, place five or six M&M’s on top of the cookie dough balls.
- Bake the cookies until they have slightly flattened and there are a few cracks on the surface, about 13-14 minutes. The cookies will still be soft. Let the cookies sit for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.