A classic layer cake that rich and chocolatey but not too sweet. Enjoy this easy to make cake. We guarantee it turns out moist every single time!
For The Fudgy Cake:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup hot coffee For the Filling and Frosting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line the bottoms of three 8-inch round cake pans with rounds of parchment paper then Spray the pans and the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar with the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the eggs and vanilla.
- In another small bowl, melt the butter in the hot coffee. Using an electric mixer, beat half of the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients at low speed.
- Beat in half of the coffee mixture, then scrape down the bowl. Beat in the remaining buttermilk and coffee mixtures.
- Pour the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until the cakes are springy to the touch.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a rack to cool completely. Peel off the parchment paper. Filling and Frosting:
- Put the chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and corn syrup to a boil. Immediately pour over the chocolate and let stand in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- Gently whisk the ganache until smooth. Whisk in the butter until incorporated.
- Refrigerate, stirring frequently, until the ganache is thick enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar with the water and heat for 30 seconds. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Assemble the cake:
- Set a cake layer on a cake plate or cake cardboard and brush lightly with the sugar syrup. Spread about 3/4 cup of the frosting onto the cake in an even 1/4-inch layer.
- Repeat with the remaining cake layers, sugar syrup and frosting.
- Spread the remaining frosting around the sides of the cake. Let the cake stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour before slicing. Enjoy!