Not sure what kind of cake to make for a birthday? Check this giant ice cream sandwish cake!
- 1 16-to-18-ounce box devil's food cake mix (plus required ingredients)
- 1 large egg
- 3 1.5-quart rectangular cartons vanilla ice cream, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray, then line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the short sides.
- Prepare the cake mix with an extra egg. Divide the batter between the 2 baking sheets; spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Bake until set, 8 to 9 minutes; let cool.
- Using the back of a spoon, working horizontally poke out alternating rows of 4 and 3 evenly spaced small rounds, about ½-inch each.
- Invert the cake without the holes onto a clean baking sheet.
- Snip open 1 ice cream carton with kitchen shears, then slide the ice cream onto the cake.
- Repeat with the other 2 cartons of ice cream, arranging them side by side on the cake. Cover with plastic wrap and press with your hands to smooth the ice cream and fill the gaps.
- Place the other cake on the Ice cream.
- Trim any excess cake and smooth the sides. Freeze at least 2 hours before serving.