Amazing summer dessert for ice cream and oreo lovers!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tahitian vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 7 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons medium grind coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Oreo sandwich cookies
- Bring cream and milk to a simmer in a heavy saucepan. Stir in vanilla bean, cover, and let steep for 30 minutes. Remove vanilla pod and reserve for another use.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar, and coffee together until pale in color and thick. Ladle about 1/3 of dairy into egg yolks, whisking constantly, then transfer yolk mixture back to saucepan
- Place pot over medium-low heat and cook, whisking frequently, until a custard forms on a spoon and a finger swiped across the back leaves a clean line, or until custard temperature reaches 170°F. Stir in salt to taste.
- Strain custard through a fine mesh strainer and chill in either ice bath or refrigerator until it is very cold, about 40°F.
- Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, adding Oreos in last minute of churning, then transfer to an airtight container and to harden in freezer for at least 4 hours before serving.