A simple chocolate cake with marshmallow frosting, a go-to chocolate cake!
Chocolate Sheet Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Hot Water
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Unsalted butter, Cubed
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Marshmallow Frosting:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13″x9″ cake pan. Line it with a parchment bottom to ensure it won’t stick. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, and whisk. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together hot water and cocoa and set aside.
- In stand mixer, beat together butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time until completely mixed in. Reduce the speed to low, and add in flour mixture, alternating adding in the buttermilk. Scrape bowl as needed. Add in cocoa and vanilla and mix until just completely incorporated.
- Pour into prepared cake pan. Place in oven and baked for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick placed in center comes out clean. Marshmallow Frosting
- For the frosting, whisk together the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heat-proof metal bowl placed over top a small saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly for 3-4 minutes until the sugar has dissolved completely and the egg whites are slightly warm.
- mmediately remove the bowl and place it on your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beating slow at first and gradually increasing the speed to high. Beat for 6-7 minutes until glossy and thick and the peaks are stiff, then beat in vanilla extract for another minute until combined. Frost cake and top with chocolate shavings.