This chocolate cake recipe is perfect for any celebration!
For the cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter plus more for the pan
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for the pan
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract For the chocolate glaze:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
To Make The Cake:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick.
- Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and the vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Let cool completely before glazing. To Make The Glaze:
- Place the chopped chocolate and corn syrup (or agave) in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan and put over medium heat. Stir until the cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Generously drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Cut into pieces and serve.