Soft chocolate cookies sandwiching peppermint filling, rolled in crushed peppermint candies.
For The Cookies:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter: cubed
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Another 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt For The fillings:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter: softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
To Make The Cookies:
- eheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips until completely smooth. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk brown sugar and eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the eggs and brown sugar and whisk until combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined. The dough will be sticky, but if it seems too wet to scoop, mix in another tablespoon or two of flour.
- Stir in the other 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough by the tablespoon or a scoop and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until the edges are set and the centers are puffed and still appear slightly underdone (they will continue to cook as they cool). Let then cool completely. To Make The Fillling:
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add milk and peppermint extract and beat on medium speed for 1 minute, until smooth and creamy.
- pipe frosting onto the bottom of half the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies.
- Roll the edges (where the frosting is) in crushed candy canes.
- Store in an air-tight container at room temperature.