Rich Triple Chocolate Cupcake, super chocolatey, moist, rich and delicious! They’re easy to make, with just a handful of ingredients. Perfect for birthday parties, gatherings, celebrations or whenever the mood strikes.
For the cupcakes:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso dissolved in ½ cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips For the chocolate frosting:
- 6 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon salt
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir instant espresso in ½ cup water.
- On medium speed using a flat beater, beat oil and sugar together until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating enough to blend after each addition.
- Pour in the dissolved espresso and mix well.
- Mixer speed on low, add ⅓ of the dry ingredients alternating with ½ of the buttermilk. Add ½ of the remaining dry ingredients followed by the rest of the buttermilk. End with the last ⅓ of the dry ingredients. Beat only until blended. Do not overbeat.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix to combine. Add the vanilla extract beating just until blended.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and beat on low to distribute throughout the batter. Use an ice cream scoop to fill the prepared muffin pans.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes for medium cupcakes or for mini cupcakes, about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool on cooling racks for about 5 minutes then remove cupcakes from muffin pans and allow to cool thoroughly. To make the chocolate frosting:
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a large pot, on medium heat, bring milk to a near boil while whisking.
- Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar all at once. Whisk thoroughly until smooth and free of lumps. Set aside to cool.
- On medium speed, using a flat beater, beat butter until smooth.
- Add salt and mix to combine. Switch mixer speed to low and gradually pour the sugar mixture. Beat until smooth and well combined.
- Add the chocolate and mix well. Add vanilla extract, mix to combine.
- Slightly increase speed and beat frosting until smooth and shiny.
- pipe on frosting. Enjoy!