The brownies are for special occasion. Chocolate and peppermint are one of the best holiday flavors! you will try to stop myself from eating the entire pan!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped and melted
- Coarsely crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease a 9- by 13-in. baking pan; set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder into a bowl.
- Microwave butter and bittersweet chocolate in a medium glass bowl, stirring often, until melted and smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Whisk together sugar and eggs in a large bowl until blended. Add extracts and whisk to blend. Stir melted chocolate mixture into egg mixture.
- Gently fold in flour mixture with a plastic spatula until no streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted 2 in. from edge comes out with a few crumbs sticking to it, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
- Put dark chocolate in a resealable plastic bag, snip off a small corner tip, and drizzle half over brownies.
- Sprinkle with candies and drizzle with remaining chocolate.
- Let cool until chocolate sets, 25 minutes, then cut into squares.