Hello Apple pie lovers. This recipe has all the warm flavors of a traditional apple pie but with a chocolatey twist.
- Pie dough Sautéed Apples
- 4 small tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice Salted Peanut Caramel
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup salted peanuts Nougat
- 7 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter Chocolate Topping
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 heaping tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- chopped snickers bars and/or chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- bake your pie dough until crust is baked on bottom and golden around edges. Set aside to cool completely. Sautéed Apples
- In a large nonstick skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add sliced apples and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Stir and set aside to cool.
- When crust and apples are cooled completely, pour apples on bottom of pie crust. Set aside and make salted peanut caramel. Salted Peanut Caramel
- Heat sugar over medium heat. Stir constantly. Sugar will clump up, turn brown, and eventually melt into a amber brown liquid. Be sure to stir constantly so it doesn't burn.
- When ALL the sugar has melted, add the butter. Stir vigorously until all the butter has melted and it is incorporated with the sugar. (better to use a whisk)
- Very carefully drizzle and stir in heavy cream. Mixture will rapidly boil and splatter, so be careful. Stir and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of peanuts. Cool for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Pour on top of apple layer, smooth, and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes - 1 hour. Nougat Filling
- Combine all nougat ingredients in a medium bowl. Use a wooden spoon or mixer to combine until all the ingredients are mixed and come together in a stiff ball.
- With your hands, flatten and shape nougat in pieces to place on top of cooled caramel layer. Chocolate Topping
- Place chocolate and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.
- Smooth on top of nougat. Garnish top with chopped snickers bars or additional peanuts. Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve. Enjoy.