This is the perfect comfort-food dessert. I love the pure flavor and creamy decadence of the homemade chocolate pudding filling. The crisp all-butter crust provides the perfect amount of flaky crunch. It’s my go-to dessert for special occasions at home.
- Pie dough FILLING
- 1 tablespoon (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup (133 grams) sugar
- 1/3 cup (28 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 ounces (113 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans ( Optional topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Press the crumb mixture into bottom of pie plate and about 1-inch up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes, then let cool.
- Put the gelatin in a small bowl, add the boiling water and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan mix the 2/3 cup of sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add half of the milk, whisking until smooth. Whisk in the rest of the milk.
- Turn the heat on to medium and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Stir in the vanilla and reserved gelatin.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the chopped pacans on top.
- Let set for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator. Enjoy.