A very easy cake to bake, fluffy and super delicious!
- 225g (8oz) butter
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder Butter-icing filling:
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- 45g (3tbsp) cocoa powder
- 10ml milk ( you can use water too)
To Make The Cake:
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and, if it starts to curdle, add a little sugar. Fold in the remaining flour and the cocoa powder with a metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for approx 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack. To make the Butter Icing:
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft.
- Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and then add enough milk / water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
- Sift and beat the cocoa powder in to the icing and use it to sandwich the two sponges together.
- Top with more butter-icing. Enjoy!