A fudgy French chocolate cake; rich is flavour and light in texture.
- 450 grams semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup/110 grams butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- Heat oven to 220 C.
- Grease the base of an 8-inch cake pan or line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate gently using the double-boiler method.
- Once melted, pull off heat and stir in the butter, flour and sugar. Lightly whisk the egg yolks and slowly mix into the chocolate. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold a definite shape but are not dry. With a light hand, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Open the oven door, leaving it ajar, and allow the cake to cool completely in the oven.
- Top with sugar powder. Serve warm, with some whipped cream or ice cream.